“If you talk to a man in a language he understands, that goes to his head. If you talk to him in his own language, that goes to his heart.”
“To have another language is to possess a second soul.”
Helping Each Child to Flourish
At Heworth we want children to love language learning. Through a curriculum incorporating listening, speaking, reading, writing and cultural awareness, we want children to discover the joy of communicating in another language and the excitement of experiencing, first hand, a new culture.
What MFL looks like at Heworth?
- French is taught throughout KS2.
- Although French is taught primarily, children are learning to learn a language and how language works.
- Throughout the year groups, children build on their knowledge of vocabulary as well as acquiring an understanding of grammatical structures.
- Heworth children go on to study MFL in a number of different settings and the skills they develop equip them to learn any language.
- Children are immersed in a new culture: celebrating festivals, trying new foods, singing songs and reading stories.
How do our values shine through in MFL?
We foster an understanding of, and respect for, other cultures.
In MFL, children go on the ultimate journey from nothing to something. They build the confidence needed to express themselves in a new language and discover the rewards of making it their own.
How do we know children flourish in MFL at Heworth?
- Children will have a curiosity and respect for new languages, cultures and traditions.
- Children will be excited by language learning and the world it can open up to them.
- Children will know that their way is not the only way.
- Children will have the skills to move forwards with whichever language they undertake to learn in the future.