“Mathematics is not about numbers, equations, computations, or algorithms: it is about understanding.”
William Paul Thurston
“Mathematics is, in its way, the poetry of logical ideas.”
Helping Each Child to Flourish
At Heworth CE Primary School, our children are taught to enjoy and develop a natural enthusiasm for mathematics. We aim for them to become fluent in the fundamentals of mathematics through varied and frequent practice and the solving of increasingly complex problems over time. Our children are supported in their learning by a range of practical and pictorial strategies, to develop their logical thinking and reasoning skills. Through developing a natural curiosity and an investigative approach, we aim for our children to learn to solve problems by applying their mathematics to a variety of problems, breaking them down into a series of simpler steps and persevering when seeking solutions. We give our children the opportunity to develop their maths skills across the curriculum and encourage then to use a wide variety of accurate mathematical vocabulary and language. We believe a high-quality mathematics education provides a foundation for understanding the world, the ability to reason mathematically, an appreciation of the beauty and power of mathematics and a sense of enjoyment and curiosity about the subject.
What maths looks like at Heworth CE Primary School
- We follow the National Curriculum, which ensures consistency and progression throughout the school. This is supported by the use of White Rose Maths schemes of work as a guide to support teachers with planning and assessment to ensure progression as children build on previous knowledge
- A calculation policy is used within school to ensure a consistent approach to teaching the four operations
- Maths display boards with number lines are in every classroom
- We use a wide range of resources to aid deeper thinking skills
- A daily focus on the four operations alongside use of TTRockstars for multiplication
- Our children are given appropriate support and/or differentiated activities to allow them to access the mathematics curriculum and to reach their full potential.
- A love of maths is encouraged throughout school via links with other subjects, applying an ever growing range of skills with increasing independence
How do our values shine through in maths?