“In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.”
“Geography is a subject which holds the key to our future.”
“Let us give the child a vision of the whole universe…for all things are part of the universe, and are connected with each other to form a whole unity.”
Helping Each Child to Flourish
At Heworth we want to inspire children’s curiosity and interest to explore the world in which we live. Teaching equips children with a knowledge about diverse places, people, resources and natural and human environments, together with a deep understanding of the Earth’s key physical and human features and processes. By revisiting these areas of learning regularly, children will remember more, know more and understand more. Through our teaching, we intend to provoke thought and questions. We endeavour to encourage children to discover answers to their own questions through exploration and research to enable them to gain a greater understanding and knowledge of the world and their place in it. We want our children to gain confidence and have practical experiences of geographical knowledge, understanding and skills that explain how the Earth’s features are shaped, interconnected and change over time.
What Geography looks like at Heworth?
- The four aspects of geography are taught and interwoven across the 2 year cycle.
- Children learn about locational knowledge, place knowledge, human and physical geography and geographical skills and fieldwork.
- Learning is planned very carefully in order to build on previous knowledge and skills.
- Children learn about their own country, make comparisons with other countries and acquire a set of geographical skills and knowledge.
- We use the local area for fieldwork to enable children to base learning on first hand experiences to enhance teaching and learning in Geography.
- Where possible, meaningful cross-curricular links are made with other subjects.
How do our values shine through in Geography?
Children will learn the value of the world in which we live and how best they can preserve and care for the world around them.
Through the teaching of Geography, children will learn the importance of preserving the world in which we live and explore ways in which they can make a positive change to the environment.
How do we know children flourish in Geography at Heworth?
- Children will develop an understanding of the local area, the UK and the diversity of the wider world in which they live.
- Children will gain an understanding of maps, compass points and direction at the appropriate level.
- Children will explore both human and physical geography.
- Children will take part in a wide range of inspiring, motivating and educational activities which support the subject knowledge received in Geography.
- Children will have a positive view of the study of Geography.