“High-quality design and technology education makes an essential contribution to the creativity, culture, wealth and well-being of a nation.”
The National Curriculum
“Design is thinking made visual.”
Saul Bass (Graphic Designer)
“Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. It’s how it works.”
Steve Jobs (co-founder of Apple)
Helping Each Child to Flourish
Design Technology is an exciting and inspiring subject that we love to teach at Heworth. We offer our pupils the opportunity to acquire valuable practical skills and to put their creativity and imagination to good use. Our wide-ranging curriculum encompasses structures, mechanisms, electrical systems, food technology and textiles. At Heworth, our aim is to provide our pupils with relevant, engaging and challenging projects that have been developed with an emphasis upon use and purpose. Through these practical projects we provide opportunities for all our pupils to develop the key skills of researching, designing, making, evaluating and improving. Children are encouraged to experiment and to take risks within a safe environment, and when things go wrong – we learn from them! Our goal is to instil in each child a belief that they can shape the designs of the future.
What does Design Technology looks like at Heworth?
- Enthusiastic pupils learning & developing practical and relevant life skills.
- Often topic inspired, our challenging projects are set within a range of contexts.
- Children applying their understanding and skills from other subject areas including maths, science, computing and art.
- Children solving real and practical problems using their growing technical knowledge and understanding.
- Pupils testing, evaluating and improving their designs and those of others.
How do our values shine through in Design Technology?
Pupils have to trust in their own ideas and abilities, and in those of their team members, as they work together trying out new things, taking risks, evaluating, working through problems, and celebrating successes together.
Children show compassion through assessing empathetically the needs and wants of others while solving real life problems.
How do children flourish in Design Technology at Heworth?
- Pupils delight in capturing their creative ideas and making them reality!
- As they make steady progress, children will grow in confidence and take pride in their developing technical understanding and practical abilities.
- Through studying designers of the past and through the processes of experimentation, trial and error and thoughtful, objective evaluating, children learn about the rewards that can result from resilience and determination.
- Inspired by their experiences of Design and Technology, children will pursue the subject either though further study or as future career.